Features

Arthurstown is a coastal village on the estuary of the Three Sisters in South West county Wexford. 

The village has scenic views of the estuary and the tall hills on either side of the river. The centrepiece of the location is the small cove at the edge of the village called King’s Bay. Houses curl around the shore of the bay, starting at the pier at one end, and ending at the winding road out of the village on the other end. 

The rural village has bars, restaurants, and accommodation to cater to tourists. The 19th century pier is mostly used to temporarily moor smaller boats. A stoney beach is located at the south end of the village.

Just 1km away is Ballyhack, another coastal village. The Passage East Ferry has a terminal in Ballyhack. 

More Info

Population: 150.

Parking: ~30 spaces near the pier.

Nearest town: New Ross, 20km away

Features

Ardamine Church of Ireland is a small church on a cliff overlooking the sea in north east County Wexford.

The beautiful and intimate church may be ideal filming location for a variety of scenes. The location of the church is a major asset. It sits on a cliff overlooking the sea. The church and surrounding graveyard gets great views. And framing the church with a specatular sunrise is very easy because the rear of the church and the cliff face directly east.

On the inside, the church could easily double as a late medieval church. The interior has beautiful bare stone walls, dark pews, and a intricate timber ceiling. The exterior, while small, is very charming and pretty.

The location is surrounded by a relatively large grounds which contain a smattering of graves. A second, larger, and more used cemetery sits at the edge of the grounds. Around the location are many holiday homes.

More Info

Dimensions: Main grounds around church, excluding the separate cemetery, 3500m squared.

Cemetery dimensions: 3000m squared.

Parking: Onsite, ~3 cars.

Nearest town: Gorey, 7km away.

Features

The Athenaeum is a period theatre located in Enniscorthy County Wexford.

The late 19th century theatre is an ideal filming location for films with period scenes set in a theatre or ballroom. Built in 1892 and refurbished in 2016, the auditorium has an authentic period feel. The auditorium is surprisingly bright and airy with large windows and a high ceiling. The careful refurbishments mean that the interior of the building especially lends itself to being used for period films set between 1900-1950.

Besides from the auditorium, the building has three dressing rooms and a museum on the events of the 1916 Rising in Enniscorthy. The design of the building is inspired by Classical architecture, which is most evident in its temple-like façade.

More Info

Located one building away from Enniscorthy Castle.

The Athenaeum was a filming location for Brooklyn (2015), where the auditorium was used for a dance hall scene.

The auditorium seats 100 and has a mezzanine that can seat 30 more.

Parking: Limited. A town car park is 100m away and fits ~20 cars.

Located in Enniscorthy.

Features

Ballycullane is a old-fashioned rural village in south County Wexford.

The village is sleepy, rural and idyllic. Filmmakers will be especially interested in the village’s garda station and post office. Both of these old fashioned buildings are covered in ivy. In summer months, these charming buildings and their gardens are full of life, and would make good locations for films set in the past. The area around the village is almost all pasture and tillage which adds to Ballycullane’s rustic charm.

The village has a former railway station, which is just 50 metres from the main road. This platform for the station still exists, and sits on the former Waterford to Rosslare line.

More Info

Population: ~400.

Other old fashioned builings in the town include the local primary school and St Martin’s Catholic Church.

Nearest town: New Ross, 19km away.

Features

Ballyhack is a small fishing village on the estuary of the Three Sisters rivers, in the south-west of County Wexford.

The village is an ideal film location for scenes set in small fishing villages, coastal villages, or scenes that are set on or near fishing boats. The village is built around the busy quay which gives filmmakers a location that intertwines a life in the village and a life on the water. A number of fishing boats and some pleasure craft moor in the quay. The village is also the departure point for a passenger and car ferry that travels across the estuary to Passage East (in county Waterford).

Ballyhack also has spectacular views of the surrounding estuary, the sea, and the gorgeous tall hills on the far side of the estuary.

Dominating the skyline of the village itself is Ballyhack castle. A 15th century castle that adds a unique personality to the village. Also near Ballyhack is a graveyard that has very impressive views over the estuary.

More Info

Population: ~200.

2.5 km away from Arthurstown. Another coastal village on the estuary.

The passenger ferry to Passage East runs every 15 minutes.

Nearest town: New Ross, 20km away.

Features

Bellevue Church is a small 19th century chapel on the banks of the River Slaney in central County Wexford.

The chapel may be an ideal filming location due to its old fashioned looks and ideal location. The unique church has a memorable and distinct exterior of cut deep blue limestone and grey granite. It is of a handsome medieval Gothic inspired style. But the church’s most ideal feature is its location. The geography of the area gives easy opportunities for great vistas. The church is almost completely isolated, as it is surrounded by picturesque farmer’s fields on 3 sides. The church also overlooks the River Slaney at one of its widest points. The fields and the Slaney give the church a gentle and nearly timeless atmosphere.

The church was built between 1855 and 1865. It is believed that famous architect, Augustus Pugin, designed the building. Originally, the tiny church was a domestic chapel attached to Bellevue house. But the big house was burned down in 1923 during the Civil War.

More Info

Also known as St John the Baptist Church, Bellevue.

Parking: fits ~20 cars.

Nearest town: Enniscorthy, 14km away, or Wexford, 17km away.

Ballycullane halt served the village of Ballycullane in County Wexford. It was an unstaffed halt and had a single platform which was accessible by a ramp.The station opened on 1 August 1906, and closed on 18 September 2010.

Ballyhack Castle commands an imperious position on a steep-sided valley overlooking Waterford Estuary. It is thought that the Knights Hospitallers of St John, one of the two mighty military orders founded at the time of the Crusades, built this sturdy tower house around 1450.

The tower is five stories tall and the walls survive complete to the wall walk. Built into the north-east wall of the second floor is a small chapel complete with a piscina, aumbry and altar. The entrance to the castle is protected externally by a machicolation and internally by a murder hole – that is, an opening through which defenders could throw rocks or pour boiling water, hot sand or boiling oil, on anyone foolish enough to attack.

Features

Ballyteigue Slob is a mudflat near Ballyteigue Burrow in south County Wexford.

The tidal mudflat may be an ideal filming location where a desolate and wild coastal area is needed. The area is very rural and mostly free of signs of human habitation. The south end of the mudflat is bordered by Ballyteigue Burrow, which is a wildlife special area of conservation. This series of dunes gives the mudflats a wild and rugged background.

The mudflat is formed at the estuary of the River Muck. The area is popular with hikers and other sight seers. Windturbines in the Richfield Wind Farm are visible to the east.

More Info

Parking: Two car parks at opposite ends of the mudflats. Both fit around 1-5 cars.

Nearest village: Duncormick, 3km away.

Nearest town: Wexford, 22km away.

Baginbun Beach

Baginbun Beach is a sandy beach on the Hook Peninsula in south west County Wexford, Ireland.

The secluded beach may be an ideal for scenes that need an isolated and iconic beach filming location. The cliffs shelter the beach from winds, separate it visually from the rest of the world, and give the location an memorable look. The beach is sandy and visually pleasant, but also has some exposed rocks that may give visual variety to scenes shot at the location. Due to the shelter provided by the cliffs and the shape of the coast in general, the water at Baginbun is surprisingly calm and the waves are usually gentle and slow. This feature combines with its isolated qualities to give the beach an idyllic atmosphere.

On the south side of the beach is a 19th century Martello tower. The iconic tower is easily visible from the beach and may help give the location a period feel. This building is a private residence and the surrounding land of the head is a also private property. The beach has won a Green Coast Award for its water quality and good management. Please note that the location partly submerges under high tide.

More Info

Dimensions: 300m long, around 25m wide.

Parking: a beach car park fits ~10 cars.

Nearest Village: Fethard-on-Sea, 2km away.

Nearest town: New Ross, 30km away.

Features

Ballycarney Bridge is an 18th century bridge on the River Slaney near Ballycarney, County Wexford.

The bridge may make a good filming location for scenes set in rural locations or ones set in small villages. It may be especially useful for period scenes. It is easy to frame Ballycarney Church and the bridge together, which makes an excellent period visual.

The bridge itself is pretty and eye-catching and the Slaney’s banks are particularly wild and green where the bridge crosses it. The lands around the bridge are mostly farmland and show little signs of the modern world.

The bridge was built in the 1780s.

More Info

Near Ballycarney Church.

Dimensions: 70m long, 5m wide.

Nearest town: Enniscorthy, 10km away.

Features

Ballyhealy Castle is a restored 13th century tower house in south County Wexford, Ireland.

The tower may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a modern dwelling in a historical building or for scenes that need a castle in a rural location. The owners rennovated the building in the 20th century and it has been used as accomodation and a private residence since then. The tower has pleasing rural views in all directions and the ocean can also be seen from the top of the building.

The Cheever family built the tower sometime in the 13th century. It was originally part of a larger bawn. In 1649 the property was confiscated and given to a follower of Cromwell. The new owners dismantled the other three towers that used to make up the bawn. The stone is believed to have been used to construct farm buildings. The last remaining tower, 2km from Kilmore village, is in good condition having been restored by various recent owners.

More Info

Please note that the building is a private residence, so permission is required to access it.

Parking: ~5 cars by the tower

Nearest town: Wexford, 18km away.

Features

Ballymoney North Beach is a popular sandy beach near Gorey, in north-east County Wexford.

The beautiful, wide, and crescent shaped sandy beach is very popular with locals and tourists. As a film location, it will be ideal for locations that need a touristy or crowded beach. But due to its looks, shape and quality, when it’s not busy, the area is perfect as a serene and secluded coastal location.

The beach is a popular for families and swimming beach and is staffed by a lifeguard in summer. The sand quality is medium to fine, and the beach is often partially covered by small stones, especially after storms.

The beach is attached to Ballymoney South Beach. Both can be reached by the same carpark. The two beaches are connected by a paved pathway that crosses behind the rocks that separate them. Previously this location had a blue flag award, which is given to beaches that have passed the strictest standards of water quality and environmental protection.

More Info

Beach dimensions: 45m at its widest. Whole length is around 1km long, but the beach is broken into smaller sections by exposed rocks. Some of these rocks will be impassable with equipment. The first and most accessible stretch of beach is around 200m long.

Faces south east.

Public toilets are available in the car park.

Parking: Around 20 spaces. 75m from the beach.

Located in Ballymoney.

Nearest town: Gorey, 8km away.

Features

Ballymoney south beach is a cosy, sandy beach near Gorey, in north-east County Wexford.

The beach’s geography and amenities give it an intimate and cosy feel. The beach is penned in by rocks on the southern end, and is overlooked by Ballymoney on its western side. A cute beach shop in the car park is open during the summer months. Also adding to the beach’s cosy feel are ideally located viewing benches.

The beach is attached to Ballymoney North Beach. Both can be reached by the same carpark. The two beaches are connected by a paved pathway that crosses behind the rocks that separate the two beaches.

The south beach has a green coast award, which is given to beaches that have very high standards in water quality and management.

More Info

Beach dimensions: 50m at its widest and around 150m long.

Faces south east.

Public toilets are available in the car park.

Parking: Around 20 spaces 5m from the beach.

Located in Ballymoney.

Nearest town: Gorey, 8km away.

Features

Ballygarrett (Irish: Baile Ghearóid) is a rural village near Wexford’s east coast.

Despite being 3km from the coast, Ballygarrett has a strong connection with the sea side. Due to its ideal location on the R742 road, Ballygarret is popular with beach-goers on their way to Morriscastle, Poulshone and Cahore beaches. This means that the town’s businesses tend to cater to a tourist crowd with a focus on beach activities and supplies. For example, the local petrol station also doubles as a bait and tackle shop.

The catholic church in the centre of the village, St Mary’s Star of the Sea church, continues this connection with the sea with its name.

More Info

Population: ~750.

3km to Cahore beach.

10km to Morriscastle beach.

Nearest town: Gorey, 14km away

Features

Ballymoney is a beach-front village in north east County Wexford, Ireland.

The small village may make a good filming location for scenes set in a tourist-focused village. The village’s access to the superb Ballymoney North and South beaches means that the area has a strong tourist industry. In the area there are many caravan parks, holiday homes, impressive summer homes, and even three golf courses.

The seaside village is also situated close by Tara Hill, which is a pictaresque hill that defines the skyline of the area and gets great views of the surrounding countryside. The location is closely linked to Courtown, another seaside village, which is just 6km away.

More Info

Nearest town: Gorey, 6km away.

Features

Ballycarney Church of Ireland is a 19th century church in Ballycarney, County Wexford.

The church is of a English Georgian Gothic style. With its straightforward masonry, unadorned windows, and its typical floorplan, the church is fairly unassuming. In the small grounds around the church there are two graveyards and several trees.

The church can be seen from Ballycarney Bridge, and the two together can make a good period visual for films.

More Info

Parking: Onsite, limited.

Nearest town: Enniscorthy, 10km away.

Features

Barrow Rail Bridge is an early 20th century rail bridge over the River Barrow in south County Wexford.

The rail bridge may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a rail bridge, for scenes that need a very long bridge, or for river scenes that need an interesting backdrop. The steel girder bridge has a striking visual quality. The bridge has a lot of character when viewed from land, the river, or on the bridge itself. When viewed along the line of the bridge, the parallel beams and girders give it an especially dramatic optical effect. The river adds to the bridge’s value as a filming location. The Barrow is particularly serene and impressive at this point, and its banks are wild and lush.

Barrow Rail Bridge was built in 1906. When it was built, it was one of the longest in Great Britain and Ireland. The bridge is composed of 11 riveted steel girder spans on concrete pillars. The piers of the bridge are cut limestone.

To let boats and ships through, one of the spans of the bridge rotates. The bridge is usually opened twice a day. The railway line that the bridge carries was closed to passenger trains in 2010. But the line is still maintained and operated by Iarnród Éireann. Freight trains still use the line, so it is not completely disused. Near the bridge is a small stone quay. On the western side of the bridge, the rail line enters a 150m long tunnel. Visible from the bridge and just down river, is the Great Island Power Station.

More Info

Dimensions: 650m in length.

Parking: on an access road, fits ~2 cars.

Nearest town: New Ross, 17km away.

Feature

Ballytrent House is a large period house with splendid gardens that over looks the sea on County Wexford’s south-east coast.

The 18th century property is an ideal location for films that need a period house with good private gardens. The 3 acres of gardens are well maintained, contain carefully laid out paths, and have some unusual species of plants and trees.

Additionally, the house is uniquely located by the sea. The house’s front door doesn’t point to the road, but actually faces away from the entrance of the property and towards Ballytrent Beach. A 200m long private lane connects the house directly to the beach.

The house is also a working farm. The owners cultivate cattle, cereals, and root crops. The farm buildings are at the rear of the period house and connect to the entrance laneway.

Also, there is a ráth, an earthen mound, that dates to pre-christian times on the grounds. This ráth measures around 600 metres in circumference and is one of the largest in europe.

More Info

Parking: On site. Fits 5-10 cars.

Nearest village: Lady’s Island, 4km away.

Nearest town: Wexford, 21km away.

Features

Blackhall Strand and the Keeragh Islands are a quiet beach and a pair of islets in south County Wexford, Ireland.

The strand is considered isolated but is popular with families and walkers. It is sandy and surrounded by cliffs, some of which are rocky. There may be some tide pools between the cliffs at the edge of the beach.

The islets are located approximately 1.5km off the coast from the beach. The pair of islands can be seen from the beach, as well as from nearby Cullenstown Strand. The islands are surrounded by a treacherous rocky reef and were historically associated with frequent shipwrecks. Grounded ships were once so common on the islands, that in the 1800s the locals built a small house on one of the islands to shelter shipwrecked sailors. This building is now completely in ruins and its former walls of it are just visible from the air.

More Info

Parking: unpaved parking, ~5 spaces.

Nearest town: Wexford, 30km away.

Features

Ballymoney Cemetery is a historic rural graveyard near Ballymoney in north-east County Wexford.

Centred around a small copse of trees and located on a flat parcel of land, the graveyard is pretty and unusual. The partly ruined headstones are unusually spaced out in the cemetery and give the location a spooky feel.

The location is neighboured by houses on its south and west side, but is surrounded by trees on its north and east.

More Info

For filmmakers needing a more ancient feeling rural graveyard, St Anne’s Historic Graveyard or Our Lady’s Island Cemetery may be more ideal.

The gravemarkers date from 1754-1958.

Parking: 2 cars.

Nearest town: Gorey, 7km away.

Features

Borrmount House is a 19th century country house near Enniscorthy, County Wexford, Ireland.

The manor may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a large house, a farm, or ones that just need a rural residence. The location includes the main house, farm buildings, and sprawling grounds on the banks of the River Slaney. The main building is of a restrained Italianate-style and includes beautiful details, like the pillared portico, the stucco embellishments around the windows, and the classically inspired timber work on the eaves.

The location possesses farm buildings in a courtyard just behind the main house. The buildings of this farmyard are also of an Italianate style and show off some very appealing cut-granite detailing. Furthering the Italianate theme, the stable house is topped with an unusual cupola tower.

The house was built in 1851. The building is cleverly positioned on a slight hill so it overlooks the lands around it. This gives the location good views of the countryside, the nearby River Slaney, as well as giving the house itself an imposing visual impact. Edermine Bridge can be seen from the house and Edermine House is located just 2km away across the river. Wilton Castle is also fairly close by.

More Info

Also known as Borrmount Manor.

Parking: ~10 spaces in front and behind the house, and in the farmyard.

Nearest town: Enniscorthy, 8km away.

Features

Boro Bridge is an weathered stone bridge near Castleboro House in central County Wexford, Ireland.

The bridge may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need an ancient-looking bridge or for period scenes set on a road. The three arch bridge is worn, covered in moss and ivy. The area around it is forested and rural. The river is shallow, narrow and littered with mossy rocks. The road on the bridge is paved, unassuming, and has pretty granite parapets on either side.

The bridge was built in 1848. It sits at the entrance gate to the Castleboro House desmense. It crosses the Boro River. The road leading to the bridge travels through picturesque countryside.

More Info

Parking: limited options.

Nearest town: Enniscorthy, 15km away.

Boro River is a stream in County Wexford and has an elevation of 6 metres. Boro River is situated nearby to Brownswood, close to Borrmount House.

Black Rock Mountain is in the Blackstairs Mountains which are located on the Carlow-Wexford border. The Blackstairs are divided into two massifs, to the north Mount Leinster and to the south Blackstairs Mountain.

Features

Blackwater (Irish: An Abhainn Dubh, meaning ‘the black river’) is a quirky and pretty village in east County Wexford.

The unusual village is centred around a gorgeous stone bridge over the river Blackwater. And just beside the bridge is a tiny park, which has benches, an open area and a marian grotto. The bridge and the tiny park together help give the village a quirky and charming character.

The village also has an quirky mix of old and new. On the main street, there is a thatched cottage that houses a trendy cafe, and up the road, a former general store (with its original facade intact) is now a furniture upcycling store.

More info

Other buildings in the village include a post office, garda station, restaurants, and a hotel. And Blackwater golf course is just 5km away.

Parking: ample street parking.

Nearest town: Enniscorthy, 20km away.

Features

The Browne-Clayton Monument is a Corinthian column and memorial on Carrigadaggan Hill in south County Wexford.

The column is one of the most unusual sights in County Wexford, and may be a useful filming location for period scenes or for films that need a really unique location. Set on a gorse-covered outcrop, the 28m tall, free standing Corinthian column really stands out against the rural surroundings.

Also, the monument is made more unique by the fact that it is the only internally-accessible Corinthian column in existence. It has an internal staircase that leads to the Capitol at the top. And although the tight staircase might limit the tower’s uses, great views of the surrounding countryside can be seen from the top of the monument.

The granite monument was built in 1839 by landowner Robert Browne-Clayton, and erected in memory of his friend, General Ralph Abercromby, and for the British victory in Egypt during the Napoleonic Wars. It was designed by architect Thomas Cobden. The column is modelled after Pompey’s Pillar in Alexandria.

More Info

Access inside the monument is restricted and must be made by prior arrangement.

28.75 metres or 94 feet tall.

Nearest town: New Ross, 14km away.

Features

Bridgetown Railway Station is a disused rail platform in Bridgetown, County Wexford, Ireland.

The disused platform may make an good filming location for scenes that need a rural rail line and basic platform. The stop is not serviced by passenger trains. The Rosslare to Waterford line was closed to passengers in 2010, so the line is only occassionaly used for freight and to move rolling stock. When the route was closed, the station was removed but the rail line and platform was left mostly intact. The lights and signage stayed on the platform, but the ticket building, signal cabin, and passenger shelter were removed. The empty platform has an extra eerie atmosphere due to its relatively isolated position at the edge of Bridgetown.

The Great Southern and Western Railway built the station in 1906. Iarnród Éireann closed the route in September 2010.

More Info

Dimensions: Platform, 90m by 10m.

Located in Bridgetown.

Booley Bay beach is one of Wexford’s hidden gems and is considered a very secluded beach on the Duncannon to Hook Head road. The beach is nestled in a gorgeous sheltered bay and hosts a gorgeous, golden sweeping sand. The vibrant green fields surrounding the beach make for a beautiful view.

The secluded beach has good space for Parking on the Road down to the Beach.

Features

Ballytrent beach is a secluded crescent-shaped beach in south east County Wexford, Ireland.

The beach may be a useful filming location for scenes that need a secluded beach or for beach scenes set near a large country manor. The beach is sandy, has a pleasant curving shape, and has decent sized grassy dunes that give it a visual identity. The beach faces east and may be a good spot to film sunrise scenes.

Located just 500m from the beach is Ballytrent House. The house has a private lane that connects directly to the beach. The main door of the house faces this lane and therefore the beach itself. The Tuskar Rock Lighthouse can be seen off the coast on a clear day.

More Info

Parking: A beach car park fits around 8 cars.

Nearest village: Rosslare Harbour Village, 5km away.

Nearest town: Wexford, 20km away.

Features

Bridgetown (Irish: Baile an Droichid) is a small village in south County Wexford.

The village is bisected by the Rosslare to Waterford rail line, which may make it an interesting choice for filmmakers who need a location that includes a rural town and a railway.

The railway cuts through the village so tightly that a row of houses have their backgardens opening onto the line itself. Also, a former train platform, Bridgetown Railway Station, sits near the centre of the village. This still intact platform gives filmmakers even more options for railway scenes. The railway no longer carries passenger trains, but the line and the platform are still maintained in good condition.

Also in the village, is its namesake, a 19th century bridge made from unrefined fieldstone. The 20m road bridge has four, geometric and visually pleasing round humps. It can be easily viewed from a riverside pathway just west of the bridge. The river that it crosses runs parallel with the railway line.

More Info

Population: ~460.

Other buildings and locations in the town that may be of interest are, a large playground, a secondary school, supermarket/filling station, bookshop, cafe, a doctors’ surgery, pharmacy, an apple farm, and a post office.

Nearest town: Wexford, 35km away

Features

Bunclody is a small rural town in north-west County Wexford.

It is the main town in the north-west of Wexford and may be suitable as a base for shoots in the nearby Blackstairs Mountains, or the many little picturesque villages in the area. The small rural town is at the intersection of the N80 and the R746, and so has easy access the surrounding areas.

Bunclody has some charming idiosyncrasies that may make it an interesting location to filmmakers. On the main street is a feature called the Mall. This tree-lined pedestrian spot is centred around a channel that flows along the main street. The Mall gives Bunclody’s centre a unique and memorable visual personality.

Another unique feature of Bunclody is the charming outdoor swimming pool located near the community park. This swimming pool was built in the 1970s and is one of only a handful of public outdoor pools in the country.

Bunclody is bordered by forest on its north side and partially bordered on its west and eastern sides. These forests give Bunclody a surprisingly sylvan quality. This character is especially noticeable when entering the town from the north, as the road passes through the dense forest, then over a beautiful river bridge and then immediately enters the busy main street.

Other features in the town include: a golf club, one of Europe’s smallest synagogues, a hotel, first and second level schools, a very modern Catholic church, a more old-fashioned Anglican church, a fire station, as well as a variety of shops and other businesses.

Newtownbarry House is located just outside the town.

More Info

Population: ~2,000

Located on the border with County Carlow.

Features

Burrow Bay Beach is a sandy, crescent shaped beach in south-east County Wexford.

The beach may be a good filming location for scenes that need a large, secluded beach. The beach is separated from the surrounding areas by fairly tall dunes on its landward side. These tall banks make the crescent shaped beach feel relatively secluded and isolated.

The sandy beach has exposed rocks in places. During high tides, the beach will be partially submerged, giving the location an interesting visual quality and a strong character.

Near St Helen’s Harbour.

More Info

Dimensions: 1km long and 70m wide.

Parking: around ~10 spaces on the south end of the beach.

NeNearest town: Wexford, 20km away.

Features

Cahore is a small fishing village and tourism spot on County Wexford’s north-east coast.

The village is a well known tourism destination, and will make a good filming location where a holiday village near the sea is required. Tourists come to the area for nearby Old Bawn Beach. Old Bawn is one of the best sandy beaches in County Wexford.

Cahore is also ideal as a fishing village location. The village is visually dominated by the bay and the pier that sits at its edge. The pier is used by whelk fishers to unload. The crescent shaped bay seems to connect the village direcly to the ocean. And with the sea wall rocks that line the bay, it gives the village a distinct and memorable nauticaul character.

Cahore Pier is a popular diving and swimming spot in the hot summer months. Also on the pier, and overlooking the bay, is a characterful bar and restaurant. This bar gives the village a lot of old-fashioned charm.

There are also two caravan holiday parks in the area, which give filmmakers further options for tourism-related locations.

More Info

Population: ~350.

Parking: ~15 cars in the bar carpark. ~20 in the carpark by the bay.

Nearest town: Gorey, 17km away.

Features

The Church of the Assumption is a large urban church in Wexford town, County Wexford, Ireland.

The Church of the Assumption, known locally as the Bride Street church, may be an ideal filming location for scenes set in a grand and sophisticated urban church. Of particular visual interest is the high steeple of the church and the large stain glass window behind the altar. Due to the church’s location and the low height of the neighbouring houses, the steeple stands tall and alone in this part of Wexford’s skyline. Inside the church, the large stain glass window leaves an immediate and lasting impression.

The building is designed in a Neo-Gothic style. The exterior is cut from old red sandstone and is trimmed with light-grey granite. This combination of stone gives the building a visually interesting appearance.

The church was built in 1858 as a companion to the Church of the Immaculate Conception on Rowe Street. These two churches are laid out to a very similar plan but have some differences. This church has a larger car park and surrounding grounds. Both churches were designed by Richard Pierce.

The church is connected to a former convent to the rear of the building. This convent is now owned by the local council and operates as accomodation for international students.

More Info

A companion to the Rowe Street church, the Church of the Immaculate Conception .

Parking: Onsite and fits ~100 cars.

Located in Wexford town.

Features

Castleboro House is a large ruined manor house located near Clonroche, County Wexford.

The ruined manor may be an ideal filming location for scenes that require pictarequse ruins or for scenes that need a ruined period house. The former manor house was particularly beautiful and lavish in its day, and despite the damage and decay, the empty shell speaks to this former glory. Architectural details like the floral carving in the stone parapets and the numerous stately granite columns that line the exterior leave a lasting visual impact.

The size and layout of the remaining structure also adds a sense of beauty and lavishness to the location as well. The large ruin is 3 stories high and is around 75m in length. The manor was specifically laid out to give an impressive vista effect to the viewer when approached.

Castleboro House was designed by Daniel Robertson and was built in the mid 1800s on the site of an earlier house. The building was burned down by the IRA in 1923.

The building is roofless so the interior is quite overgrown with plants. The location is in a deterioting state and may be prone to collapse. The building is located on privately owned farmland.

More Info

Located within 10 minutes drive of Coolbawn House, a similarly ruined stately house.

Parking: soft parking onsite, fits ~5 cars.

Nearest town: Enniscorthy, 15km away.

Campile, south Co.Wexford, is a small village that was served until recently by trains operated to and from Waterford and Rosslare Harbour. The line was opened as late as 1906 by the Great Southern & Western Railway. Campile Station once had an island platform, footbridge, large goods yard and corrugated iron station building, typical of the type to be found on the line. The station ceased to be a signalling blockpost in 1987 and the sidings, passing loop and signal cabin were removed. The remaining station building and footbridge were also demolished in the early 2000s. Passenger services over the south Wexford line ceased in September 2010, although the track remains in situ.

Features

Carnsore Point Beach is an isolated sandy beach on the south east coast of County Wexford, Ireland.

The windswept beach may make an ideal filming location for scenes that need a lonely, rugged, but appealing shoreline. The surrounding area is fairly undeveloped, with only the Carnsore Wind Farm in the vicinity. This isolation gives the beach a sombre atmosphere. The wind turbines of the power station overlook the beach and give it a one of a kind backdrop. Carnsore Point faces the Celtic Sea on one side and St George’s Channel on the other.

The beach itself is sandy and good looking. It has a pleasant curving shape and a series of grass dunes. The beach is very wide and is part of a series of beaches that continues for kilometres along the coast.

More Info

Dimensions: 100m by 1.4km.

Parking: A dirt car park fits ~5 cars.

Nearest town: Wexford, 24km away.

Features

Cahore Beach is a large beach with cliffs in north-east County Wexford.

The beach may be an ideal filming location for scenes need a large sandy beach or for scenes that need a beach with cliffs. The beach is wide and open. It has pretty and medium hardness sand. The beach is elevated by the nearby cliffs and a cliff walk. The cliffs start at the north end of the beach and continue up until Cahore village. The cliffs have a walking trail that is used regularly by locals and tourists.

The beach is part of the series of beaches that connects almost unbroken all the way down to Curracloe Beach, which is a 25km distance. It is popular with families and walkers.

More Info

Dimensions: The beach connects with Old Bawn Beach after a few hundred metres, but together the two beaches stretch straigh and unbroken for more than 4km. Cahore Beach is 60m wide at its widest. The cliffs are around 12 metres at their tallest. The cliffs become dunes further south.

Parking: ~60 cars.

Nearest village: Cahore, 1.5km away. The location is also connected to the village by the cliff walk.

Nearest town: Gorey, 18km away.

Features

Carrigfoyle Quarry is a disued quartzite quarry near Wexford town.

The former quarry has been reclaimed by nature and is now a beautiful and scenic area that offers a lot of options for filmmakers. The location has many exposed cliff faces and rocky outcrops. The stone of the former quarry is partly composed of quartzite and other minerals, so these exposed rocks have a striking and exotic look. The main landmark of the quarry is the man-made lake at its centre. The lake gives the quarry a visual identity and is particular beautiful. The location also has a fairly large pine forest. The forest is unusual for the area and the pine trees make the location feel even more exotic.

Ongoing work by the County Council is adding walking trails and other ammenities to the location.

Located near the former quarry is Forth Mountain. The small mountain overlooks the location and offers great views of the surrounding areas.

More Info

Also known as Barntown Quarry.

Dimensions: Main forest, 300m by 200m.

Parking: Onsite, fits ~50 cars.

Toilets are also available onsite.

Nearest town: Wexford, 7km away.

Features

Carne Pier is a pier and slipway in south-east County Wexford.

The pier is a potential filming location for fishing boat scenes. It is mostly used by local lobster fishermen and pleasure craft to moor their boats. A slipway on the beach also allows for launching of boats during high tide. The breakwater has moorings on one side, and on the exposed side is covered by anti-erosion protection.

The pier and slipway is located at the end of Carne Beach, which gives the location a unique beach setting.

More Info

Also known as Carnsore Pier.

Dimensions: ~3m wide by ~100m long.

The location is directly connected to Carne Beach.

Public toilets available.

Parking: holds ~20 cars.

Nearest town: Wexford, 22km away.

Features

Campile (Irish: Ceann Phoill or Ceann Poill, meaning ‘head of the creek’) is a small but industrial village in south-west County Wexford.

The village, while small, is quite built up and brimming with industry. Along the main street are a large farmers co-op and a builder’s merchant. These two large industrial yards hold stock and heavy machinery and together give the town a particularly industrial feel. And located 13km away from Campile is the Great Island Power Station. The gas-powered energy station may give filmmakers extra location options for industrial scenes.

Away from the industry, the village has a quaint feel and may interest filmmakers as a scenic village. Arranged around a long main street, the village has houses from different decades, as well as pubs, restaurants, a post-office, hardware store, soccer pitch, and a particularly large community hall.

Campile is also ideally located near some of south-west County Wexford’s most interesting spots. Dunbrody Abbey is just 2.6km away from the village. While, Kilmokea House is 5km away and the JFK Aboretum is 5.5km away.

More Info

Population: ~500.

Nearest town: New Ross, 15m away.

Features

The Church of the Immaculate Conception is a large urban church in Wexford town.

The Church of the Immaculate Conception, known locally as the Rowe Street church, is ideal for scenes set in a grand and sophisticated urban church. The location is in a built up and central area of Wexford town. The streets around the building are narrow and busy and so give it a very urban feel.

The building is designed in a Neo-Gothic style. The exterior is cut from old red sandstone and trimmed with light-grey granite. This combination of stone gives the building a visually interesting appearance. Inside the church, the large stain glass window behind the altar leaves an immediate and lasting impression. The church has a large organ in the choir gallery.

The Rowe Street Church was built in 1858 as a companion to the Church of the Assumption on Bride Street. These two churches are laid out to a very similar plan but have some differences. This church is slightly closer to the centre of the town. Both churches were designed by Richard Pierce.

Just 100m away from the church is a Franciscan Friary. It’s a 19th century friary with a late 18th century chapel. This friary may give filmmakers extra options in the area.

More Info

A companion to the Bride Street church, the Church of the Assumption.

Can be accessed from Rowe Street, John Street and High Street.

Parking: Onsite, ~100 cars.

Located in Wexford town.

Coolmelagh, also known as Prospect Loop, is a forest and walking trail that has beautiful views of Wexford to the south and Wicklow and Carlow to the North. Prospect Loop trail follows forest roads with a steady climb before it descends towards Ballingate and loops back with good views of the surrounding countryside of Carlow and Wicklow. The walk meanders through pine and beech forests up to the summit of Gibbet Hill. In the eighteenth century there was a slate quarry on the hill with remnants of that still in existence.  In early May expect to see a carpet of bluebells amongst beech trees.

Features

Carne beach is a sandy beach in south east County Wexford, Ireland.

The beach may be a good filming location for beach scenes or coastal scenes. The beach has soft sand and a particularly pleasant curved shape. Its shape should allow for shots with dramatic depth that show the entire beach at once. Behind the beach is an area of grassy dunes. These dunes are around 50m wide and separate the beach from a holiday home park.

Carne Pier sits at the south end of the beach and makes a visually interesting backdrop to the beach. Past the pier is another sandy beach protected by rock armour and littered with large boulders. This rocky landscape should give filmmakers more coastal location options. The location has a Blue Flag Award which means that it is recognized for its water quality and good management. A concrete ramp leads from the car park to the beach, but other paths cut through the dunes from the road.

More Info

Toilets are available at the pier.

Parking: ~15 spaces in the beach car park.

Nearest town: Wexford, 23km away.

Features

Carnivan Beach is a surfing beach located on the Hook Peninsula in south-west County Wexford.

Due to its good looks and reliable waves, the beach may be an ideal filming location for surfing scenes. It can get strong and reliable waves with north-west winds, and so is often used by surfers, especially in winter months.

The sandy beach is surrounded by gorgeous cliffs. The cliff faces are, at some places, so sandy that they look like steep dunes rather than cliffs. Rockpools can be found on the beach at low tide.

The beach has a rip current and underwater rocks, so its not considered safe for beginners or weak swimmers. Just around the head is Baginbun Beach, which is very similar and considered a swimmer friendly beach.

More Info

On the cliffs to the east, sits an early 19th century Martello Tower. The tower is now a private residence.

Dimensions: Beach: ~300m long and ~15m wide. Cliffs: ~20m tall.

Parking: Two car parks. One that holds ~5 cars and another that holds ~15 cars.

Nearest large village: Fethard-on-Sea, 2km away.

Nearest town: New Ross, 30km away.

Features

Carnsore Wind Farm is an onshore wind power station on County Wexford’s south east coast.

The visually impressive windfarm comprises 14 wind turbines and sits on a flat parcel of land that is bordered by the coast on two sides. The windswept coastal area has a lonely atmosphere and could fit a variety of filming needs. The wind turbines’ size can add an uneasy sense of scale to shots, or their sleek looks can add a cutting-edge feeling to films.

Traditional hedges crisscross the site and give the location some visual variety. An extensive walking trail travels around the edge of the location and goes from Carnsore Point Beach all the way to Churchtown. The ruins of St Vogue’s Church are located near the centre of the site, and a second ruined building can be found near the south edge of the windfarm.

More Info

Operated by Hibernian Wind Power Ltd, which is a subsidiary of the ESB.

Dimensions: The area of the windfarm is around 1km by 500m.

Parking: Onsite, fits ~5 cars. More parking available by Carnsore Point Beach.

Nearest town: Wexford, 24km away.

Features

Courtown is a coastal village in north County Wexford, Ireland.

The sea-side village is notable as a fishing location and popular tourist destination. It may be ideal for maritime scenes or for scenes with tourism elements. The area has many tourist spots, including a seasonal amusement park, casinos, hotels, a leisure and recreational centre, and Pirates Cove. Tourists are especially drawn to the location in the summer for walks along Courtown Beach and in Courtown Woods.

The area is also known for its harbour, which occupies the heart of the village. The small harbour is formed by the estuary of the Owenavoragh River and is reinforced by concrete piers and stone breakwaters. The main road terminates on the end of the pier, and a small promenade follows the dock and leads to the beach and the forest. An iconic ice-cream kiosk sits on the village side of the harbour.

The harbour was built between 1839-1846 as a means of boosting the local economy during the famine years. The village was built up around the harbour in the following decades. In the late 20th century, Courtown was massively expanded with new housing developments. The expanded village has merged with the nearby village of Riverchapel.

More Info

Population ~4,000

Nearest town: Gorey, 6km away.

Features

Clonmines Ruins are a group of medieval ruins on the estuary of the Owenduff River in south County Wexford, Ireland.

The ruins may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need multiple ruined buildings in one group. The ruins include a former abbey, two towers, and part of a stone house. The location is located on farmland and overlooks the estuary of the River Owenduff. The flat farmland gives the area a sweeping feel, and the location also gets good views across the estuary. The river bank is particularly silted and reedy due to the winding course of the river at this spot.

The ruins were built between the 1300s and the 1700s. The ruins were once part of a booming town, but he town relied on a port, which was rendered useless by the changing course of the river, and the town collapsed and was abandoned in the 1700s.

Please note that the location is on private farmland and can only be accessed by permission from the owners. A later ruined church and graveyard are also located nearby on the property.

More Info

For more information, see the location’s website here.

Nearest village: Wellingtonbridge, 5km away.

Nearest town: Wexford, 27km or New Ross, 26km away.

Features

The Coastal Road, Killiane is a coastal road in south east County Wexford.

The narrow road may make an ideal filming location for driving scenes that are set near the sea and especially for scenes that need a timeless location. The road is completely clear of buildings and signage for the last 160m until it reaches the beach. This means that the road feels remote and timeless.

The location can fill in for a range of periods as the narrow, tarmac road has no markings or signs that may date it.

More Info

For a less remote feeling coastal road, filmmakers may be interested in Coastal Road, Clone.

Dimensions: The straight part of the road is 500m long, but the part of the road with no buildings is 160m. Width, around 5m.

Parking: limited.

Nearest village: Rosslare Harbour, 5km away.

Nearest town: Wexford, 20km away.

Features

Carrick is a small rural village in south County Wexford.

Carrick is a dignified, quiet village. It is located on the R736 road, and may be a useful base for accessing locations on the Bannow peninsula.

The village’s most standout feature is its unusual church. The church is inspired by the Romanesque style and has no steeple, which is unusual for a rural Irish church. This gives the building a unique and memorable silhouette.

More Info

Located near St Mary’s Church, Bannow.

Also known locally as Carrig or Carrig-On-Bannow.

Population: ~200.

Nearest town: Wexford 24km away.

Bounded by the Owenavorragh River on the north side and the canal on the seaward side to the east, Courtown Woodland dates back to pre-Famine times. At 25 hectares, it was once home to oak and ash trees. Acquired by the State in the late 1950s, it was planted with commercial timber. The mixed conifers – broadleaf plantings – were largely of spruce with some ash although small strands of oak remain together with avenues of chestnut and lime trees. The canal was constructed under a Famine relief scheme in 1847. Trees include Californian redwood, swamp cypress, Japanese cedar, cedar of Lebanon and a number of pine, yew and true cypresses. You will also notice common oak, ash and sycamore.

Parking: Courtown beach.

Features

Coolbawn House is a large ruined period house in west County Wexford, Ireland.

The former period house may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need an impressive and visually pleasing ruin or for scenes that need a derelict building in a rural area. The shell of the former country house is imposing, and still contains interesting architectural details like the carved windows and classically-inspired brick chimney pieces. The roof is completely gone, the floors have collapsed. Ivy and other creepers almost completely cover the exterior facade, and weeds, bushes and even some small trees fill the interior spaces. The contrast between the grandiose architecture and the plants gives the location a peaceful but liminal atmosphere.

Francis Bruen built the house around 1840 and the designer was Frederick Darley Junior of Dublin. The house is of a New Tudor Revival style. Locals nicknamed the building ‘Bruen’s folly’ due to the large sums of money poured into its construction. The house burned down in 1923 during the Irish Civil War. The location is on private farmland and permission to access it is required.

More Info

The location is a contemporary with Castleboro House, which also burned down during the war, and which is just 7km away.

Nearest village: Rathnure, 2km away.

Nearest town: Enniscorthy, 17.5km away, or New Ross, 18km away.

Corrageen is in the Electoral Division of Killann which is close to Bantry, County Wexford

Features

Clone Beach is a short, sandy and stoney beach in north-east County Wexford.

The small beach may be a useful filming location for scenes that need a beach with character. The rugged dunes to the rear of the beach and the winding inlet that cuts across it give the beach an unusual charm. And although it’s fairly short, the beach is unusually wide. At around 100m at its widest, the beach is one of the widest in Wexford.

The beach is sandy, but is often littered with stones. The beach can be reached by a winding hedgerow concealed path.

It is connected to Kilgorman Strand to the south. The two beaches are technically one, but have different widths, are separated by an inlet, and have their own entrances. Coastal Road Clone overlooks this location.

More Info

Also known as Clones beach, Castletown beach and Clone strand.

Connected to Kilgorman Strand.

Dimensions: 400m by 100m.

Parking: On Coastal Road, Clone. Fits ~10.

Nearest town: Gorey, 10km away.

Features

The Coastal Road Clone is a coastal road near Clone Beach, County Wexford.

The narrow road may make an ideal filming location for driving scenes that are set near the sea and especially for scenes that need a timeless location. The road travels along the coast for around 400m and overlooks the ocean for its full length. On the ocean side, there are rough grassy dunes and on the land side there are farmer’s fields and a farmhouse. It overlooks Clone Beach on its southern end.

The location can double for a range of periods as the narrow, tarmac road has no markings or signs that may date it.

More Info

Very near Clone Beach and Kilgorman Strand. Also near to Kilpatrick Beach.

Dimensions: ~400m long and just wide enough for two cars to pass.

A pull-in spot half-way up the road fits ~5 cars.

Parking: Extra parking can be found at Clone Beach.

Nearest town: Gorey, 12km away.

Features

Clohamon Bridge is a rustic stone bridge in Clohamon, County Wexford, Ireland.

The rural crossing may be an ideal filming location for scenes on an idyllic bridge or for village scenes that simply need an interesting background. The five arc humpback bridge is made of rough rubble stone and cut granite details. The structure crosses an especially peaceful and beautiful section of the River Slaney, and together the bridge and the river make quite an attractive rural visual. The bridge is located at the heart of Clohamon, and it may visually elevate scenes shot in the village.

The location was built sometime before 1839, and was repaired in 1917. The bridge is very similar to Scarawalsh Bridge and both structures may have been designed by the same architects.

More Info

Dimensions: ~90m long.

Located in Clohamon.

Features

Colclough Walled Garden is a 19th century garden near Saltmills in south County Wexford.

The garden may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a venerable garden or for scenes that need an outdoor period location. The garden was built in the 1810s, and the current garden is a recreation of the layout of the garden from the 1830s. And as much as is possible, the garden is maintained with authentic Georgian methodology. So the garden has the same feel and look as it may have had in the 1800s.

The location is actually broken into two gardens. On the east side is the ornamental garden, and on the west side is the kitchen garden. The two gardens are separated by a intermural wall. The whole garden is enclosed by the original brick wall from the early 1800s. A stream flows through the garden and is crossed by five bridges.

Colclough Walled Garden is located on the grounds of Tintern Abbey, which may offer filmmakers more opportunities to film period scenes.

More Info

Located very close to Tintern Abbey.

Dimensions: 160m x 50m (2 acres).

Parking: carpark that fits ~20 cars. A second car park in a nearby field fits an extra ~40 cars.

Nearest town: New Ross, 23km away. Or Wexford town, 30km away.

Features

Clohamon village (Irish: Cloch Ámainn) is a picturesque rural village in north-west County Wexford

The village has two geographic features that make it idyllic and therefore a potential filming location. It is located on a relatively elevated hill which gives the village and its approaches many lovely views of the surrounding countryside. These views reach as far as the Blackstairs Moutains to the west. The village is also located on the banks of the Slaney River. The river is crossed in the centre of the village by the Clohamon Bridge. The wide Slaney River combined with the 18th century bridge gives Clohamon a picturesque and idyllic core.

Filmmakers may also be interested in the village for its industrial park. At one end of the village is the Ryland business park. The business park has a variety of industries, including a meat processing factory and a recyling centre. While these businesses are located in the village, they are grouped at one side of the village, so they don’t spoil the picturesque and tranquil feel of the rest of the village.

More Info

Clohamon Bridge is located in the village.

Located on the N80 national road.

Nearest town: Bunclody, 10km away, or Enniscorthy, 16km away.

Features

The Corrig is a historic and secluded graveyard near Enniscorthy, County Wexford.

The unusual cemetery is hidden away in a small copse of trees, and can be accessed by a ‘tree alley’ that leads from Saint John’s road. The old gravestones are intertwined with the forest and are haphazardly laid out. The oldest headstones date to the mid-1700s. The cemetery may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a secluded, ancient or peaceful graveyard.

Near Soldier’s Hole, Enniscorthy, a similarly secluded spot in a forest. Also close to Borrmount House.

More Info

Also known locally as Carrig Graveyard and St John’s Graveyard.

Parking: Virtually none, though cars may fit in the lane that approaches the graveyard.

Nearest town: Enniscorthy, 2km away.

Features

Crossfarnoge Beach is a sandy beach with dunes near Kilmore Quay, County Wexford, Ireland.

The sandy beach may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a straightfoward but visually impactful beach or for coastal scenes that need grassy dunes. The beach is simple and sandy, with a curving shoreline that will have a visual impact on screen. When facing away from Kilmore Quay, there is nothing human-built in sight and while looking towards the village and harbour, at ground level the buildings are almost completely hidden by the grassy dunes. These large grassy dunes stretch the length of the beach and separate the sand from the rest of the countryside as well.

The dunes are a part of the Ballyteigue Burrow Nature Reserve and are rich in rare flora and fauna. The location lays just beside Kilmore Quay. The Saltee Islands can be seen offshore past the Forlorn Point.

More Info

Dimensions: The sand stretches for around 9km all the way until Cullenstown Stand, but Crossfarnoge Beach only occupies less than a tenth of this length. The beach is 70m at its widest. The dunes are between 200m and 250m wide.

Located just beside Kilmore Quay.

Nearest town: Wexford, 23km away.

Features

Cullenstown Strand is a sandy beach in south County Wexford.

The beach is in Cullenstown village. It is known as quiet beach that is well liked by locals. It has recently been award a Green Coast Award for its high quality environment. The beach is the location of The Shell Cottage and Cullenstown Handball Alley.

More Info

Public toilets available in the car park.

Parking: Onsite, ~15 cars, with ~10 more spaces at Cullenstown Handball Alley.

Nearest town: Wexford, 25km away.

Features

Curracloe Beach is a long, white sandy beach and is one of County Wexford’s best beaches.

Curracloe may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a beautiful beach that adds scale and production value. It is arguably the best beach in County Wexford and among the best beaches in the whole of Ireland. The beach is long, wide, and has soft golden white sand. The rear of the beach is covered by extensive dune systems that cuts it off from the outside world and adds visual interest to the location.

The beach has been awarded a Blue Flag, meaning that the waters around the area follow the strictest standards for quality and environmental protection. It is part of one of the longest stretches of beach in Ireland. If Cullentons Gap and Ballinsker beach are included, the sand stretches for 11km, from Raven Point to Blackwater.

Because of its beauty, unobscured vistas, and great length, Curracloe beach makes an ideal film location. It’s no suprise then that it has been used in large period films such as Saving Private Ryan and Brooklyn.

More Info

The beach faces east and slightly south-east.

The beach varies between 10-15 metres wide.

The dune system varies between 10-20 metres wide.

There are two car parks. Raven Point carpark which holds around 50 cars. And a beach carpark which holds around 150 cars.

Public toilets are avaiable in the carpark.

Nearest town: Wexford, 11km away

Download Curracloe info pack here

Features

Cullenstown Handball Alley is a handball alley on Cullenstown Strand in south County Wexford.

The handball alley may be a ideal filming location for sports scenes that need an interesting backdrop or for beach scenes that need an unusual setting. The alley’s defining feature is its location right on Cullenstown Strand. Around the alley, there are scenic views of the beach and the sea.

The walls of the alley are weathered and lichen-spotted, which adds to its appeal. Stairs adjacent to the alley lead up onto the road, giving filmmakers direct access to the location. The alley is also accessible from Cullenstown Strand and from the beach carpark as well. The alley was originally built in 1912, with additions in 1940, and restored in 2005.

More Info

Dimensions: main wall height 6.6 meters, width 10 meters, length 19 meters.

On Cullenstown Strand. Very close to The Shell Cottage.

Parking: On the beach, ~10 cars.

Nearest town: Wexford, 25km away.

Features

Duncannon (Irish: Dún Canann) is a unique coastal village on the Hook Peninsula on County Wexford’s south-west coast.

The village will make a good filming location for scenes that need a colorful and cheery seaside village. It also offers some uncommon coastal features that may be of vital use to filmmakers.

On a promontory on the eastern side of the village is Duncannon Fort. First built in the 16th century and used up until the mid-twentieth century, the fort has a lot of history and gets stunning views of the surrounding estuary. Among other buildings, the fort has a two storey lighthouse. On the south coast of the village is Duncannon Beach which is a lovely sandy beach.

The village also has a harbour on its eastern side. Commercial fishing vessels use the larger part of the harbour, while a smaller and older dock within the larger harbour holds smaller boats.

More Info

Population: ~300.

Parking: Some street parking.

Nearest town: New Ross, 24km away.

Features

Duncormick, or Duncormac, (Irish: Dún Cormaic) is a whimsical and charming small rural village in south County Wexford.

The village is an ideal filming location for scenes set in a rural farming village, or for rural scenes that need a bit of soul or humour. Duncormick has two unusual buildings within sight of each other. The first is Sinnott’s Bar on the main street. This thatched, 200 hundred year old building is brimming with easy going charm.

And up the road from the bar is St Peter’s Catholic Church. The church’s steeple, with its flamboyant crenellation, has a suprisingly fantastical quality. Elevated on a hill that looks down onto the village, the church is visible through the trees in winter months and appears to spy on the village below.

The village has a particularly rural feel due to the green spaces in and around the village. The urban part of the village is very short, only about 50m long and the rest of the village consists of houses and estates with green areas (fields and playing areas) separating them. Even the village centre is bounded at both sides by copses of trees, which makes it feel more rual. Adding to this rural quality is that the largest local business is the agricultural vehicle seller across from St Peter’s church.

More Info

Locations in the village include St Peter’s Catholic Church, Sinnott’s Bar, Duncormick Bridge, a river walk, and a disused train platform.

The river Muck flows through the village, and where it meets the sea nearby, it creates vast and visually interesting slobland.

Population: ~120 people.

Parking: Street parking in the village centre, 5-10 cars.

Nearest town: Wexford, 20km away.

Features

The Doll’s House is a unique cottage near Wexford town in south County Wexford.

The cottage may be an ideal filming location for scenes that require an eccentric house location. The location has a fantasical quality due to its small size, exotic design, and quirky features. The cottage’s flamboyant exterior makes it stand out and its charming interiors leave a lasting visual impression.

The Doll’s House is a gate lodge for Rathaspeck Manor. The cottage was built in 1900. There are many theories to explain its unsual design, including that it was originally built for the Paris International Exhibition in 1900 and shipped to its current location and rebuilt.

The small house has two bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom, and a sitting room.

More Info

Located at the entrance of Rathaspeck Manor Golf Course.

Parking: Fits ~5 cars, with more spaces available at the golf course.

Nearest town: Wexford, 5km away.

Features

Dollar Bay Beach is a beautiful secluded beach on the Hook Peninsula in County Wexford.

The area may be an ideal filming location for filmmakers who need a pretty beach in a rugged area. The small beach has golden sand and calm, light blue waters. But the beach is surrounded by rugged, grass covered cliffs and the land around the cliffs mostly comprises of pasture and farmland. The view across the bay is also of rugged hills. All this together gives the lovely beach a lonely and isolated feeling.

The beach’s unusual name comes from a local legend that a large pirate treasure is buried somewhere in the sand. For filmmakers that may need a larger but similarly secluded beach, Booley Bay Beach can be found just 300 metres away.

More Info

Beach dimensions: ~100m long, 20m wide.

Cliff height: 10m-15m.

Very close to Booley Bay Beach.

Parking: Fits 5-10 cars, 40m from beach.

Nearest town: New Ross, 26km away.

Features

Donaghmore Cemetery is a country graveyard by the sea in north west County Wexford, Ireland.

The country graveyard may make an ideal filming location for religious scenes set in a windswept and lonely cemetery. The location is quite rural and rugged. The graves are on an uneven and grass covered hill by the cliff’s edge. The graves are lichen spotted, the boundary wall is partly whitewashed and weathered, and hedges around the site are overgrown and wild.

The cemetery has extra visual interest due to a ruined stone church that occupies the entrance to the site. The interior of this roofless church can be accessed.

The graveyard was used as early as 1707. The ruined church was used up until the mid 19th century for Church of Ireland service. The church has associations with St Patrick and according to local history was either founded by him or visited by him.

More Info

Dimensions: 60m by 40m. There are around 150-200 graves in the cemetery.

Parking: 2-3 cars at the entrance gate.

Nearest village: Ballygarret, 3km away.

Nearest town: Gorey, 14km away.

Features

Dodd’s Rock Beach is a small and fairly isolated beach in north east County Wexford, Ireland.

Dodd’s Rock Beach is a medium quality sandy beach. The location is attached to Kiltennel Beach to the south and forms a longer beach including it and Courtown Beach. The south end of the beach also connects with Courtown Woods. Parts of the of the forest overlook this beach and Kiltenel Beach.

A small car park gives relatively easy access to the beach. The gravel path from the car park to the beach is narrow but charming.

More Info

Connected to Courtown Woods.

Nearest town, Gorey, 6km away.

Features

Donaghmore Beach is a characterful beach in north-west County Wexford.

The beach may be a useful film location for scenes that need a characterful and quiet beach. The beach’s shape, the coastal protection at the back of the beach, and the plant covered hill that overlooks it, give the beach a strong sense of personailty.

The sandy beach is often littered with stones after storms and high tide.

The beach is connected to Roney Point Beach at its northern side. And it is 5km away from Poulshone Head to the north.

More Info

Dimensions: Around 1.2km long and 20m wide.

Parking: Up to 8 cars.

Nearest town: Gorey, 10km away.

Features

Dunbrody Abbey is a vast 12th century monastery ruins located in south-west County Wexford.

The ruins are ideal for filmmakers who need large visually impactuful religious ruins or for filmmakers who need a variety of ruin locations in one compact area. The abbey features a ruined church, a cloister, and many other smaller former monastery rooms. The church is exceptionally long, at around 60m long, and its walls are well preserved. The cloister is around 20m by 20m and is lawned. With the high visual quality of the building, these individual rooms and spaces give the filmmaker many different appealing ruin locations to set their scenes.

Also on the grounds are a hedgemaze and a ruined castle, giving filmmakers even more historical locations to make use of.

The abbey was founded in 1170 after the Norman invasion of Ireland. The first abbot of the monastery was an uncle of Strongbow, Herve de Montmorency. The monastery was dissolved in 1542 and came into private hands from then on. In 1911, the Chichester family donated the abbey to the Office of Public Works.

A railway line cuts across the grounds on the north side, but it is obscured by hedgerows when viewed from the abbey.

More Info

For filmmakers looking for a slighly more intact monastery ruins, Tintern Abbey may be more suitable.

Operated by OPW.

Parking: ~25 spaces in the visitor’s centre.

Nearest village: Campile, 3km away.

Nearest town: New Ross, 15km away or Waterford, 18km with a ferry.

Features

Duncannon Beach is a popular sandy beach in Duncannon village, in south-west County Wexford.

The beach may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a gorgeous beach in a picturesque seaside town, or for scenes that need easy access to a beautiful beach from other filming locations. The beach is pretty with golden sand. And the beach entrance is located on the Duncannon main street. A row of houses is built directly onto the first 100m of the beach. This means that the gorgeous beach and the charming village are visually intertwined and elevated by each other.

The area is also the site of an annual sand sculpting festival. This unusual event happens on the August bank holiday and has a variety of events, ending with an impressive competition of sand art on the beach itself.

Historic Duncannon Fort overlooks the beach.

More Info

Beach dimensions: ~1km long, width varies from 6m up to 20m, but is mostly ~12m.

Car park: fits around 20 cars and is right by the beach. Street parking is also available in the village.

Located in Duncannon.

Features

Duncannon fort is a former coastal bastion fort on the Hook Peninsula in south-west County Wexford.

The fort may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a military location or an unusual coastal location. The location has a variety of former military buildings, including barracks and support buildings around a central courtyard and then also defensive buildings facing the estuary. These two groups of buildings should give filmmakers lots of options for military scenes.

There are pillboxes, cannon emplacements, searchlight installations, and other defensive structures around the coastal side. Also present are former barracks, workshops and storehouses. The complex is large and has many paths, corners, and open spaces. The barracks and support buildings now house the museum displays.

The fort was built in this location to defend Waterford estuary from invasion. As such, the location gets great views both up and down the estuary. It was in use from the 16th century. The barracks and support buildings date frm the 18th or 19th centuries, while most of the defensive buildings date from World War II, when the fort was re-fortified. The bastion walls date from the 18th to 19th century.

The location also has a two storey 18th century lighthouse. The bastion fort is located at the end of Duncannon Beach. While Duncannon harbour can be seen from the other side of the fort.

More Info

Dimensions: The fort occupies an area of around 150m by 75m.

Parking: in the central courtyard, fits 15-30 cars.

Located in Duncannon.

Please download Duncannon location guide here

Concrete bridge adjacent to which is a river walk leading to holy well and old graveyard. Duncormick sits over the River Muck and is on the Bannow Drive, a tourist trail and signposted route through four Wexford villages including Cullenstown, Bannow and Wellingtonbridge. Duncormick is close to a number of beaches, and a forty-minute drive from Rosslare Europort, to the east, which serves Britain and France. Waterford Airport lies to the west.

Features

Edermine House is a 19th century large period house in central County Wexford.

The location may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a rural period house, or for films that need a variety of 19th century rural locations. The main house is a refined, square two storey building. It is simple and understated, while still being charming and memorable.

But the location really excels due to the variety of buildings on the property. Attached to the main house, there is a 19th century chapel. Though the outside of the chapel looks quite disused, the interior is well maintained and beautiful. The grounds also have extensive farm buildings. These buildings form two courtyards. The main entrance of these buildings is impressive and dominating. Finally, there is a large disused glasshouse on the property. The glass was removed decades ago, but the rusting frames of the building are still quite impressive.

The main house was built between 1835 and 1845. The house was designed by John Benjamin Keane. The house also has a gate lodge and 19th century cast-iron rails at its entrance. The house looks down on the River Slaney and can be seen from the opposite bank of the river.

The farm buildings also have a disused water tower that is quite distinct looking. As well as overlooking the River Slaney, Edermine House can be seen from the Edermine Bridge that crosses it.

More Info

Parking: onsite, fits ~5 cars.

Nearest town: Enniscorthy, 7km away.

Features

Edermine Bridge is a 20th century road bridge in central County Wexford, Ireland.

The bridge may make a good filming location for scenes set on or near a rural bridge. The characterful bridge has a unique look and personality. The angled piers that support the structure also give it a memorable and visual impact. The bridge is quite long, but narrow.

The bridge was built in the 1970s. The road meets a railway crossing on the west side 35m after leaving the bridge. The River Slaney at this point is known for being calm and picturesque which may add to the bridge’s use as a filming location.

More Info

Officially known Marmion Bridge.

Located very near to Edermine House.

Dimensions: 110m long by 4m wide.

Parking: ~5 spaces around the slipway and ~10 more across from the slipway.

Nearest town: Enniscorthy, 7km away.

Edenvale Woods is a woods near Castlebridge, County Wexford.

The wooded area is thin and long. It stretches around 1km and centres on the river Sow. A woodland walk passes through the old forest and leads past the many points of interest in the woods. Of special value are the multiple waterfalls. Also visible is a ruined mill and a water pumping station.

Features

Enniscorthy Castle is a late 16th century castle and museum in Enniscorthy, County Wexford, Ireland.

The old stone castle may be an idea filming location for scenes that need a castle in an urban location or for interior scenes that are set in a castle or stately home. The castle is a museum and it has exhibits that show the different eras of its history. This includes rooms and spaces from the Norman period all the way up to the turn of the 20th century. The castle was used as a private home in the early 20th century and the museum has rooms more or less untouched from when they were lived in.

The castle was built in 1585. It was refurbished by the Roche family in the early 20th century and had been used as a family home until 1951, when it was sold. Also covered by the museum is Enniscorthy’s industrial history, the works of Enniscorthy designer, Eileen Gray, and local writer, Colm Tóibín.

The roof is accesible with permission and gets great views of Enniscorthy on three sides.

More Info

Parking: Space for ~5 cars onsite. More parking available in a town carpark nearby.

Toilets on site. A lift goes to all floors.

Located in Enniscorthy.

Enniscorthy is the second-largest town in County Wexford, Ireland. At the 2016 census, the population of the town and environs was 11,381. The town is located on the picturesque River Slaney and in close proximity to the Blackstairs Mountains and Ireland’s longest beach, Curracloe. The town is twinned with Gimont, France. The Placenames Database of Ireland sheds no light on the origins of the town’s name. It may refer either to the “Island of Corthaidh” or the “Island of Rocks”. The cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ferns is located in the town as well as an array of other historical sites such as Enniscorthy Castle and the key battle site of the 1798 Rebellion.

The award winning Enniscorthy Castle, in the heart of Enniscorthy Town, County Wexford, was built in the 13th century, and has long been home to Norman knights, English Earls and local merchant families.

Features

The Dunbrody Famine Ship is a replica sailing ship in New Ross in south-west County Wexford.

The ship offers filmmakers a unique and accessible filming location for period nautical scenes. The period accurate sailing ship is permanently harboured in New Ross town and features a beautifully recreated exterior and interior.

The Dunbrody is a modern replica of a 1845 vessel of the same name. The original ship was a famine ship, one of many cargo vessels that were converted to take passengers during the Great Famine in Ireland. These ships were usually over-crowded and had a high mortality rate, which led to the nickname ‘coffin ships’. The Dunbrody is one of only two famine ship replicas in Ireland.

The ship is used as a museum and tourist attraction. Tours are run onboard the ship throughout the year and feature costumed recreations.

More Info

Note that the ship is attached to the promenade by a steel frame, meaning that the ship is steady and does not sway with the waves.

The location also features a restaurant and gift shop on land.

Parking: Paid and onsite. Fits around ~80 cars.

Located in New Ross town.

Features

The Ferrycarrig Hotel is a large, riverside hotel near Wexford town, County Wexford.

The hotel may be an ideal filming location for hotel scenes, venue scenes, or especially for wedding scenes. This 4 star resort boasts one of the most inspiring locations of any hotels in Wexford. The building overlooks the estuary of the Slaney River. The banks, river and surrounding environment possess great natural beauty and vibrant wildlife. The location has been designed in such a way that all of the rooms of the hotel have a view of the river. The scenic views mixed with the high quality facilities and easy access mean that the resort is an ideal spot for weddings. The property won the ‘best wedding venue in Ireland’ award in 2018.

The hotel has 102 rooms, two restaurants, a pool, gym, leisure centre, and spa. The Ferrycarrig Hotel sits next to the Roche’s Tower, a Norman castle. It was created in order to keep watch over the River Slaney. The location is also quite close to the Irish National Heritage Park.

More Info

Parking: ~100 spaces.

Nearest town: Wexford, 5km away.

Features

Fethard-on-Sea (Irish: Fiodh Ard, meaning ‘high wood’) is a village on the Hook Peninsula in south-west County Wexford.

The village is a gateway to the many locations of the Hook Peninsula. Situated on the north-east side of the peninsula, it is the closest large village to Hook Head Lighthouse, Loftus Hall as well as the many beaches on the east and south coasts of the peninsula. It is also located ideally on the R734 which is one of the two roads that cut down the peninsula.

Fethard-on-Sea has an impressive main street for a village of its size. The main street is especially long and straight for an Irish village. It is also particularly wide, which is typical of settlements that grew up around a market. These features together mean that the village’s centre has a strong sense of scale and should make a interesting filming location where the village’s scale on camera is important to the filmmakers.

Located in the village is the ruined Fethard Castle. Also nearby is Fethard-on-Sea Quay. Grange Beach, Baginbun Beach and Carnivan Beach are also with 3km of the village.

More Info

Also known as Fethard. On-sea is added to differentiate it from Fethard in Tipperary.

Population: ~300.

Parking: Street parking fits 50-100 cars.

Nearest town: New Ross, 30km away.

Features

Ferns Castle s a ruined 13th century castle in central Co. Wexford, Ireland.

The half-collapsed ruin may be a good backdrop for scenes set in a small village or urban environment that need a historical or unusual background. While only the front wall of the castle still stands, but what’s left of the structure is imposing and impressive. The castle looms over the village and can be seen from the mainstreet, housing estates, and the local primary school. And the building is tall, still has two of its towers, and has beautiful 13th century carved windows.

It is possible to climb to the top of one of the remaining towers to get an impressive view of the village. The tower has an interior stone staircase and a former chapel room.

William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke built the now ruined castle around 1200. The early Norman castle originally formed a larger square castle, with two more towers, a moat and drawbridge. A visitor centre at the rear of the castle offers information and tours of the site. The visitor centre has a modern wool tapestry that traces the history of the castle.

More Info

Parking: An on site car park holds ~10 cars.

Toilets are located in the visitor centre.

Located in Ferns.

Nearest town: Enniscorthy, 12km away.

Features

Fethard Quay is a tiny port near Fethard-on-Sea in south-west County Wexford, Ireland.

Frequently called Ireland’s smallest port, the quay may be an ideal filming location where an active, lived-in, and historic fishing port is needed. It was built in 1745, and hasn’t been changed much since then. Its age gives the weathered quay a strong, lived-in quality. This feeling is furthered by its size, as the congested quay is almost always full of boats. Also due to its size, the quay is mostly populated with smaller fishing boats, and rarely do pleasure craft or larger boats moor in the quay itself. This limited variety of boats gives the quay a quaint and rugged character.

The quay was purpose-built by Nicholas Loftus, of the locally important Loftus family, to specifically house a revenue cruiser, or King’s Barge. These ships were used to police smuggling along the coast. Originally the quay was meant to only house one boat and nothing else, it wasn’t until later that the quay was used to moor fishing vessels.

The location features some ruined store houses from when the quay was originally built. The quay is prone to drying out in low tides. Pleasure craft and larger fishing boats tend to moor just outside the port itself. Overlooking the quay is a large and modern guest house. This may give filmmakers accomodation options or potentially more filming locations near the quay.

More Info

Also known as Fethard harbour and Fethard dock.

Dimensions: 30m by 60m.

Parking: Onsite, fits <5 cars.

Located just outside Fethard-on-Sea.

Features

Fethard Bay is a small natural harbour near Fethard-on-Sea, County Wexford, Ireland.

The small bay may be a useful filming location for scenes that need a natural coastal location. The harbour is formed at the estuary of a small stream and the mouth is partly sealed by a sandbar. The cove is silty and the water level is quite low. During low tides, waders and other sea birds forage on the sand.

The bay sits close to Fethard Quay.

More Info

Parking: a gravel car park at the other side of the road fits ~20 cars.

Located near Fethard-on-Sea.

Nearest town: New Ross, 30km away.

Features

Fethard castle is a ruined historical location in Fethard-on-Sea, County Wexford, Ireland.

The aged structure may be a good filming location for scenes that require a historical ruin in a modern setting. The ruin is popular with tourists who use the green areas in front and behind the building to picnic and to rest. The village is a major stopping point for journeys to and from destinations on the Hook peninsula and travellers will often eat lunch on the grass or while meandering around the building.

The council erected a fence around the structure to protect the public from the risk of collapse. The dangerous state of the building, the surrounding fence, and the power line across the property limit the castle’s use as a historical location. But the pretty green areas, the small copse of trees around the location, and its position in the charming village of Fethard should all give filmmakers reason to use the visually appealing castle. 

The stone castle was built in several phases during the 14th and 15th centuries. The earliest part of the castle is a gatehouse located on the eastern side of the building. The castle was probably built by the Bishop of Ferns as a summer residence and the crenellated circular tower was formerly topped by a bellcote. In the later medieval period several bishops resided at Fethard to avoid the attacks of the native Irish in north Wexford. In the 17th century Fethard Castle became the property of the Loftus family.

More Info

Parking: ~15 spaces immediately in front of the location.

Located in Fethard-on-Sea

Features

Forlorn Point is an unusual headland near Kilmore Quay in South County Wexford.

The small headland may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a desolate, unusual or remote coastal location. Though located in Kilmore Quay, the barren, rocky and low-lying headland feels more remote and desolate due to its looks and geography. This is especially true when looking out towards the ocean. The craggy, mishapen headland seems to disappear as it reaches out into the sea.

The headland is mostly submerged during high tide, and only the conctrete pathway and the grassy island at the end of the headland is visible. During low tides, more of the dark rocks of the headland are visible.

More Info

Dimensions: Island to land, around 200m. Walkable width during low-tide, around 10 metres.

Parking: ~30 in the Kilmore Quay beach car park, around 200m away.

Located in Kilmore Quay.

Features

Goat Hill (Irish: Cnoc na Gabhar) is a step-lined hill in New Ross County Wexford.

Goat Hill may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a hill in an urban location or for scenes that need a secluded urban setting. The modern stone steps are bordered by old town walls on each side, which gives the spot a very private atmosphere. And the modern steps contrast nicely with the ancient walls, meaning that the location has a high visual quality. At the top, there is an open area that gets great views of the town and of the Barrow River.

The town wall was built as early as the 15th century and the modern stairs were built in 2022. The steps feature iron handrails and archways, and there are 144 steps in total. The location is brightly lit at night. The steps lead from Creywell Street to the Bullawn.

More Info

Parking: town parking on the top and bottom of the hill, each fits ~5 cars.

Located in New Ross.

Features

Glenavon Japanese Garden is an ornamental garden near Courtown County Wexford.

The garden may make a good filming location for scenes that need an unusual garden or for scenes that need a peaceful and spiritual location. The location is designed with a Japanese motif in mind. It features plants native to East Asian and it is centred around a carefully recreated Japanese pavillion.

The ornamental garden is also meant to feel spiritual and balanced, as it consciously includes features meant to evoke the four classical elements and the four seasons as well.

More Info

Dimensions: 30m by 60m.

Parking: Onsite, 1-5 cars.

Nearest town: Gorey, 9km away.

Features

Gorey Municipal Offices are a set of civic offices in Gorey, County Wexford.

The ultra-modern buildings are arranged around a central square, and include Gorey civic offices, a library, a VEC building, a HSE building, and a courthouse. The location may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a modern or slightly futuristic setting. The green and grey exteriors have a geometric and pleasing look. And the buildings are designed to complement each other, which gives filmmakers a fairly large and consistent area to set their scenes.

Gorey Municipal Offices were built in 2011 and have a floor plan of 8,500 sq. metres.

The square has a carpark and children’s play area with gym equipment. On the grounds is an unusual steel-frame gazebo. Additionally, the square is directly connected to Gorey shopping centre.

More Info

Parking: Onsite and fits ~50 cars.

Located in Gorey.

Features

Gorey is a mid-sized town in north County Wexford.

Gorey is a compact and modern town with a strong commercial leaning. It may be an ideal filming location for scenes that require a contemporary and affluent area. The town was the fastest growing town in Ireland in the early 2000s, meaning that there are many modern houses, shops and services.

However, for filmmakers that require a more modest and old-fashioned look, Gorey does retain its historic qualities, especially along parts the main street, possessing late 1800s houses, and a late 1700s market house.

Gorey may be a useful base for utilizing other areas in north County Wexford. The town’s location in the north of Wexford and along the main M11 Dublin to Wexford motorway, means that Gorey has the advantage of being the closest town in Wexford to Dublin and Wicklow. It is also ideally located near Courtown and other strong seaside locations.

Gorey has a shopping centre, multiple retail locations, as well as a busy main street. There is a theatre, two hotels, a cinema, garda station, library, and post office. The town is also connected by rail to Dublin and Wexford.

Also in the town is Gorey Municipal Offices. Filmmakers may also be interested in Gorey School of Art.

More Info

Population: ~10,000.

Parking: Paid street parking.

Features

Grange beach is a windswept beach popular for kitesurfing on County Wexford’s south-west coast.

The area is a good beach location for films that depict surfing or kitesurfers. The exposed position of the location offers surfers and kitesurfers strong winds and waves. It is especially popular with kitesurfers.

The beach itself is sandy and surrounded by low, dune topped cliffs.

More Info

Beach dimensions: ~80 metres long and 10-15m wide. At low tides, the beach combines with Banna beach and becomes ~100 metres longer.

Cliff height: ~8m at tallest height.

Parking: Fits around 5 cars.

Nearest village: Fethard, 3km

Nearest town: New Ross, 29km away.

Hook Head (Irish: Rinn Duáin) is a headland in County Wexford, Ireland located on the east side of the estuary of The Three Sisters (Rivers Nore, Suir and Barrow). It is part of the Hook peninsula and is adjacent to the historic townland of Loftus Hall. It is situated on the R734 road, 50 kilometres (31 mi) from Wexford town.

This area is the location of Hook Lighthouse, the oldest working lighthouse in the world.

Download Hook Head info pack here

Features

Hook Lighthouse is a 13th century lighthouse on the Hook Peninsula in south west County Wexford.

The medieval lighthouse may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need an ancient but operating lighthouse, or for scenes that need a rugged coastal setting. Hook Lighthouse is one of the oldest operational lighthouses in the world. The lighthouse was built between 1200 and 1240, and although it has been modernized for the operational benefit of the lantern, the tower still has ancient qualities.

The location has 115 spiraling steps that lead up 4 stories to the top of the tower, the walls of the tower are up to 4 metres thick, and the lower storeys have cross-vaulted ceilings. Each floor has its original 13th century fireplace.

On the exterior, the tower has a unique white and black stripe pattern that differentiates it from other lighthouses. The building is located on the tip of the Hook Peninsula and has great views of the coastal features along the Hook Coast. The top of the tower has a viewing balcony which is ideal for seeing the coast and the sea. The area is known for experiencing frequent fog and mist.

The lantern was has been electric-powered since the 1970s, and the operation of the lighthouse is automated, with the light being controlled from Dublin. The former keepers’ houses were converted into a visitor centre. The lighthouse is popular with tourists and is considered a symbol of County Wexford.

More Info

Located on Hook Head.

Dimensions: 46m tall. 13m wide at the base, and 6m at the top.

Parking: ~60 cars on the lighthouse grounds, with around another 60 spaces on rough ground by the coast.

Nearest town: New Ross, 35km away.

Download Hook Head info pack here

Features

Hook Head Coast is a series of coastal features around Hook Head Lighthouse in south west County Wexford.

The exposed stratified rocks of Hook Head give the coastline a rugged and beautiful quality. The terrain ranges from flat areas to rugged patches, and even features some small sea stacks. The rocks are mostly carboniferous and the area is also known for its fossils.

More Info

Located near Hook Head Lighthouse.

Parking: At the lighhouse, fits ~50 cars.

Nearest town: New Ross, 35km away.

Features

The Irish National Heritage Park is a unique Irish history heritage site located near Wexford town.

The park may be an ideal filming location for films that need a number of high quality historic locations. The park consists of recreations of historic Irish buildings and each building is set in its own beautiful environment. Covering 40 acres, the park features builings and objects from Irish pre-history, the pre-Christian era, and the Viking era.

The buildings on the site include a very impressive medieval ringfort, a Christian monastery, an authentic crannog, a Viking boatyard, a Norman castle and even a round tower. There are also smaller stand-alone recreations including a portal tomb, stone circles, ogham stones, a kiln, a fulacht fia, and a watermill.

The park also features beautiful woodland walks, which may offer filmmakers even more scene options. Parts of the park have spectacular views onto the river Slaney.

More Info

The heritage park is located just 5km from Wexford town.

A visitor centre on the site has toilets and a restaurant.

Parking: Onsite, holds ~30 cars and 5 coaches.

Nearest town: Wexford, 5km away.

Features

The JFK Arboretum is a memorial arboretum near New Ross, County Wexford, Ireland.

The John F. Kennedy Arboretum may be an ideal filming location for scenes that need a woodland area, a garden, or ones that need a generally peaceful area. The arboretum covers around 2.5 square kilometres near the slopes of Slieve Coillte. There are around 4,500 different species of plants and trees arranged in different sections around the park. This variety may give filmmakers a range of different settings to choose from, all the way from picturesque and peaceful, to dark and foreboding. There is a small decorative lake in the location, which acts as a landmark and ties the different woodland areas together.

The arboretum has a picnic spot and play area for children. There is a small hedge maze, and a topiary cut into the shape of a small house. A visitor’s centre has an exhibition space and holds audiovisual displays about the history of the arboreteum and about John F. Kennedy.

More Info

See more on the Heritage Ireland website.

Dimensions: 2.5 square kilometeres, or 623 acres.

Nearest town: New Ross, 12km away.

Johnstown’s ornamental gardens were designed by Victorian Architect Daniel Robertson, who is responsible for many projects in Ireland including Powerscourt in Co. Wicklow.

The lower lake is the largest inland freshwater lake in Wexford at almost twelve acres. It was dug out by hand in the early 1850s and is a haven for wildlife including waterfowl and otters. A fully accessible 1.5km new lower lake walk has opened for the first time in approximately 100 years.

The Castle lake is the middle of three lakes and was the first to be constructed in the late 1830s-40s as part of Hamilton Knox Grogan Morgan’s grand vision for the Estate. At almost five acres it is home to numerous waterfowl. Around the fringes of this lake are two follies, including a fishing tower and seven statues which were completed at the same time as the lake. They are entirely in keeping with the romantic vision being brought to life by both owner and architect.

A third lake was constructed later in the 1880s during the time of the Fitzgerald family and is located near the walled garden. The walled gardens and hothouses, covering four acres, were originally laid out between 1844-1851 and today retain their early design. Restoration and improvement works in the walled gardens and glasshouses will be underway in the coming months.

Features

Johnstown Castle is a large period house near Wexford town in County Wexford.

The house may be an ideal filming location for a variety of period and modern scenes, but it may be especially useful for films that need 19th century opulence, grace and splendor. The castellated facade of the house is distinct and impressive. The gardens are sprawling, beautifully laid out and full of small details. There are a number of stately rooms filled with antique furniture and splendid architectural details. All these elements together make the castle a powerful location that should be able to fill a variety of filming needs.

The estate was built between 1835 and 1875. It was designed by Daniel Robertson in the Gothic Revival style. Robertson also designed Wells House, Wilton Castle, and Castleboro House. Johnstown Castle was used by Teagasc between 1945 and 2019, and housed labratories and other agricultural research activies. The stables of the castle now hold an agricultural museum.

An unusual feature of the castle is the 86m long servants’ tunnel that runs under the house. The castle is located very close to Wexford town.

More Info

Due to the sheer size of the location, Johnstown Castle is split into two entries. One for the castle itself and one for the gardens and surrounding buildings.

Dimensions: the estate is around 700m by 1.2km.

Parking: Free parking onsite, fits ~100 cars.

Nearest town: Wexford, 8km away.

asdasd
Website by Doodle