Enniscorthy Castle is situated in Enniscorthy. The first stone castle was built on site in the 1190s by the French Norman Knight Philip De Prendergast and his wife Maud. It was used as a prison during the 1798 Rebellion, by the Irish ‘United Irishmen’ and then by the British after they re-took Enniscorthy town. In 1903 it became the private residence of the Roche family, until they vacated it in 1951. In the years following it became home to the Wexford County Museum.
The Castle site at the head of the River Slaney, in the centre of Enniscorthy town. As a Norman Castle, it features 4 corner towers, and a 4-storey rectangular keep. The original foundation of a castle on this site goes back to the late 12th or early 13th-century, though the current structure was updated in the late 1500s. Enniscorthy Castle appears to echo the style of other local castles, such as the Norman Ferns Castle and Carlow Castle. The Castle had fallen into ruins by the early 20th century, and was restored by P.J. Roche, who extended and reconstructed the building.