Johnstown Castle Gardens

Johnstown Castle Gardens

Details

Johnstown Castle Gardens

Johnstown’s ornamental gardens were designed by Victorian Architect Daniel Robertson, who is responsible for many projects in Ireland including Powerscourt in Co. Wicklow.

The lower lake is the largest inland freshwater lake in Wexford at almost twelve acres. It was dug out by hand in the early 1850s and is a haven for wildlife including waterfowl and otters. A fully accessible 1.5km new lower lake walk has opened for the first time in approximately 100 years.

The Castle lake is the middle of three lakes and was the first to be constructed in the late 1830s-40s as part of Hamilton Knox Grogan Morgan’s grand vision for the Estate. At almost five acres it is home to numerous waterfowl. Around the fringes of this lake are two follies, including a fishing tower and seven statues which were completed at the same time as the lake. They are entirely in keeping with the romantic vision being brought to life by both owner and architect.

A third lake was constructed later in the 1880s during the time of the Fitzgerald family and is located near the walled garden. The walled gardens and hothouses, covering four acres, were originally laid out between 1844-1851 and today retain their early design. Restoration and improvement works in the walled gardens and glasshouses will be underway in the coming months.

Contact Us

Location

Johnstown Castle,

Wexford,

Y35 DA33

Contact

Brenda Comerford

info@johnstowncastle.ie

Location ID

SW0188

Website by Doodle