Church of the Assumption, Wexford Town

Church of the Assumption, Wexford Town

Details

Church of the Assumption, Wexford Town

Features

The Church of the Assumption is a large urban church in Wexford town.

The Church of the Assumption, known locally as the Bride Street church, is ideal for scenes set in a grand and sophisticated urban church. Of particularly visual interest is the high steeple of the church and the large stain glass window behind the altar. Due to the church’s location and the low height of the neighbouring houses, the steeple stands tall and alone in this part of Wexford’s skyline. Inside the church, the large stain glass window leaves an immediate and lasting impression.

The building is designed in a Neo-Gothic style. The exterior is cut from old red sandstone and is trimmed with light-grey granite. This combination of stone gives the building a visually interesting appearance.

The church was built in 1858 as a companion to the Church of the Immaculate Conception on Rowe Street. These two churches are laid out to a very similar plan but have some differences. This church has a larger car park and surrounding grounds. Both churches were designed by Richard Pierce.

The church is connected to a former convent to the rear of the building. This convent is now owned by the local council and operates as accomodation for international students.

More Info

A companion to the Rowe Street church, the Church of the Immaculate Conception .

Parking: Onsite and fits ~100 cars.

Located in Wexford town.

Contact Us

Photographer: Gordon Wycherly

Location

Church of the Assumption, Bride St, Whitewell, Wexford, Co. Wexford, Y35 HW10

Contact

Rev John Carroll

Contact Address

adm@ferns.ie

Location ID

SW023

Related Locations

Website by Doodle