Tintern Abbey is a well preserved 13th century monastery ruins in south-west County Wexford.
The majestic and atmospheric ruins are an ideal filming location for scenes that require an imposing historical backdrop. And although the interior is now a museum and visitor centre, the exterior has maintained its original look, and its venerable outline is an especially striking sight when viewed from the woods or the stone bridge that crosses the nearby stream.
Also on the same site are Colclough Walled Garden, which gives filmmakers another period location within walking distance. The monastery ruins are enhanced by the surrounding woodlands. Woodland walks crisscross the forest around the site.
The site was established around 1200 by William Marshall, successor to Strongbow, and colonised by monks from Tintern Abbey in Wales. Henry VIII suppressed the Cistercian Abbey and the lands became the property of the Colclough family until 1960.
Adjacent to Cloclough Walled Garden.
Maintained by the OPW.
For filmmakers looking for a more ruined abbey, Dunbrody Abbey may be more suitable.
Of the abbey, the nave, chancel, tower, chapel and cloister still stand.
Toilets available in the visitor centre.
Parking: carpark that fits ~20 cars. A second car park in a nearby field fits an extra ~40 cars.Contact Us
Tintern Abbey, Tintern, Saltmills, New Ross, Co. Wexford, Y34 KR64