Slade is a historic fishing village on the Hook Peninsula in south-west County Wexford.
Slade is an ideal filming location for scenes that need an historic village with a large harbour. The tiny village is dominated by the harbour and the castle that overlooks it. The harbour is one of the larger small harbours in County Wexford. It is mostly used by fishing boats and some pleasure craft. The castle, a tower house, was built in the 15th century and was once used a fortified residence.
Adding to the historic atmosphere of the location, a ruined 17th saltworks building can be found on the harbour’s southern side. These ruins can be partly entered and contain several rooms.
The harbour was first started in 1648 by Henry Loftus, and therefore has strong ties to the Loftus family, who built nearby Loftus Hall.
Near to Hook Head Light House and Loftus Hall.
Parking: 10-15 spaces on the harbour.
Nearest town: New Ross, 35 km away.Contact Us
Photographer: Gordon Wycherly
Slade, Hook, Co. Wexford
District Manager, New Ross Municipal District